Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A new cocktail ... probably!

So I took a couple bartending classes to keep busy while the missus is off saving the world (Doing a bang-up job of it, I may add). The classes wrapped up last night with a build-your-own cocktail competition. Yeah, I won. Hell, I won using kumquats.
Kumquats, people. The horrible little citrus fruit we grow in Dade City and sell to the world. Now, no one I grew up with -- including the missus -- eats and enjoys kumquats. Despite looking like miniature oranges, these things are far from sweet. You try one as a kid, make that weird pucker face, get laughed at by your friends who know better, and never do it again. Yet, I've found them in every grocery store I've shopped in since I left Florida. Apparently you can also find them in bartending courses.
For whatever reason I decided it would be a good idea to include the kumquats in my cocktail. I also gave elderflower cordial a try. Never had it before. Had no idea what it tasted like. Turns out, it's not bad in small amounts.
Add a couple kumquats to an ounce of the cordial (as well as some gin and bitters) and you end up with a bright, sweet cocktail that's just a little tart thanks to the addition of bitters and, of course, the kumquats. The drink was good last night, but it will be great this summer.
I ended up naming the drink after the part of Pasco County where I first lived when we moved to the area, Darby.
Like I said, I made this drink up on the spot. However, people have been creating cocktails for a long time so it's entirely possible this drink existed long before last night. But until I stumble across it, I'm going to take credit for it.

The Darby Flower

2 oz. of gin
1 oz. of elderflower cordial
1/4 oz. of honey simple syrup
zest of 1 kumquat
juice of 2 kumquats
3 dashes of Angostura bitters

Combine ingredients, stir and serve neat with an orange twist.

No comments: