Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Volunteering rebuttle

After a couple recent attacks on the dry martini, a top three greatest cocktail, I had to weigh in. Hey, if you want to ruin your martini by pouring a bunch of vermouth in it, be my guest. But the dry martini is hardly a trend that is on the way out. Check out my screed at D.C. Foodies.
I've also started volunteering at a D.C. cooking school, CulinAerie (if it sounds familiar, I recently took a knife skills class at the school). Saturday, Valentine's Day, was my first night. Five hours on my feet making sure a room full of couples were happy and following the chef's instructions. I'm sure it was because it was my first night, but I felt completely inept. I wasn't sure what I needed to do and I didn't know where things were. Chef Holt and the other volunteers were happy with my efforts, but it was a C+ night at best. Afterward, I was wiped out. It's been a long time since I spent that much time on my feet. Despite how tired I was, I struggled to fall asleep that night because my calves and feet were just aching. Man, God bless professional servers.

No comments: